Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Tobin Heath wins first U.S. Soccer Female Player of Year award


Electric attacker Tobin Heath has been named U.S. Soccer’s Female Player of the Year.
The 28-year-old is the fifth different winner since 2012, joining Alex Morgan, Abby Wambach, Lauren Holiday, and Carli Lloyd. The award is Heath’s first.

Heath scored six goals for the USWNT this season, including two in the side’s ill-fated Olympics. She added another goal in 14 appearances for the Portland Thorns of the NWSL.
From USSoccer.com:
It’s obviously an honor to win an award like this, especially when you look at the list of amazing players who have won it before,” Heath said. “This year was a difficult one for our team, but overall we played some great soccer so it’s humbling to be recognized individually. I’m just proud to be in the company of all the great players that were nominated and all of the players that played for the USA this year.
“I couldn’t have accomplished anything without the support of my teammates and my coaches, and while it was a fun year for me personally, I’m excited not only about my own future, but also the future of this team as I know we have a lot more room to grow and many more goals to achieve.
Ashley Sanchez won the Young Female Player of the Year. The uncapped 17-year-old played for the U.S. in both the U-17 and U-20 World Cups this season. She’s been called up to train with the USWNT.

No comments:

Post a Comment